Meeting: Sunday, May 19

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by tylerhauck on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

We have tentatively planned to meet next on Sunday, May 19. RSVP here, also we can discuss possible locations/times, suggest agenda items, etc.

tylerhauck

Posts : 14
Join date : 2013-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by raineywarren on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:48 pm

I'll be there.

raineywarren

Posts : 1
Join date : 2013-04-21

View user profile http://www.redtreadle.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by jonbluedot on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Agenda items i'd like to suggest:
-becoming or not becoming a Shunpike member
-making or not making subcommittees
-sketching out a timeline and giving ourself deadlines/checklists for leaving HH.
-propaganda dept....how to get the word out.

jonbluedot

Posts : 9
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Sea-town

View user profile http://www.bluedotprints.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by Karly@ZAPP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:08 am

I will be there.
jonbluedot wrote:Agenda items i'd like to suggest:
-becoming or not becoming a Shunpike member
-making or not making subcommittees
-sketching out a timeline and giving ourself deadlines/checklists for leaving HH.
-propaganda dept....how to get the word out.
I second these topics of discussion and would like to add to the table: discussing/posting the accumulation of any research we have done into other non-profits/networking efforts, offers we have received, and projects that could be helpful in making decisions.

K

Karly@ZAPP

Posts : 1
Join date : 2013-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by Violet@ZAPP on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 am

May 19th is good for me.

Violet@ZAPP

Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by vcorvid on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 pm

I am planning on attending.

vcorvid

Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by heath_bears on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:35 pm

I am back in the area for good and would like to attend the May 19th meeting if that would be alright with everyone.

Heath

heath_bears

Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-04-28
Age : 40
Location : Edmonds, WA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by jonbluedot on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Hey everyone, should we take advantage of this offer at Shunpike? that Nora emailed about.
http://www.shunpike.org/classes-events/
We may not have time to reserve a space before the next meeting....
We have 70 dollars raised by Owen that we could use....if we think it's worth it.

jonbluedot

Posts : 9
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Sea-town

View user profile http://www.bluedotprints.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by RemyN on Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 pm

heath_bears wrote:I am back in the area for good and would like to attend the May 19th meeting if that would be alright with everyone.

Heath

Yes, please come to the next meeting, Heath! We love you!

RemyN

Posts : 2
Join date : 2013-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by emilyvanderharten on Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I like all of these ideas, and welcome back Heath!!!.

Let's also talk about ways to raise money pre-/without becoming a non profit. I would be happy to lead this portion of the discussion. do we have a location or time in mind yet?

emilyvanderharten

Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by jonbluedot on Wed May 01, 2013 10:03 pm

emilyvanderharten wrote: do we have a location or time in mind yet?

What about asking Black Coffee if we can reserve a spot there for 2 hrs?

jonbluedot

Posts : 9
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Sea-town

View user profile http://www.bluedotprints.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by emilyvanderharten on Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 pm

that's a great idea. i think they would be into that. who wants to ask?

emilyvanderharten

Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-04-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by jonbluedot on Wed May 01, 2013 10:25 pm

just did. boom.

jonbluedot

Posts : 9
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Sea-town

View user profile http://www.bluedotprints.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by wrdnrd on Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Is a follow-up meeting still planned for 5/19? If so, where and what time? I'd been planning to attend.

wrdnrd

Posts : 1
Join date : 2013-05-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by jonbluedot on Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 pm

the meeting will be at Black Coffee Co-op at 2:00/2:15 PM

jonbluedot

Posts : 9
Join date : 2013-04-21
Location : Sea-town

View user profile http://www.bluedotprints.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by tylerhauck on Sat May 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier this week...

I have a couple agenda items for the meeting:
1. Short Run is in November (Thanksgiving weekend), should we sign up for it?
2. Any interest in idea of having positions or "offices" at ZAPP to help organize all this work?
3. Is the forum working? Is it useful?

tylerhauck

Posts : 14
Join date : 2013-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by tylerhauck on Tue May 21, 2013 1:43 am

Here are the minutes for this meeting:

1. Explained current state of affairs for new folks: ZAPP is looking for a new space because Hugo House is not in the position to give us the resources that we need. ZAPP had a meeting with Hugo House staff and the conclusion was come to that ZAPP could excel if it was under a different roof

2. Recap of meeting at the Vera Project last month, we split up the conversation into three parts: Programming, Community, Archive. Probably the major point of consensus was that these three elements need to remain integrated in some way.

3. Short Run small press fest is in late November, the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. We had a table for ZAPP last year, and decided we should again this year. Tyler will submit application.

4. How to delegate tasks to committee members/volunteers? Idea of specific positions, including an executive, was raised. This lead to a discussion of the need for ZAPP to have a clear and official decision-making process. Virginia and Tyler will do some research on various organizational structures and come with some proposals to the next meeting. Our goal is to settle on something next meeting, with a "comment period" to allow people who weren't there to give feedback. If we cannot agree on something at the next meeting, we will schedule a follow-up meeting for the express purpose of finalizing that decsion.

5. Forum (http://zipzapp.forumotion.com). There has been limited activity on the forum and we discussed whether or not it was working for people. Ideas we are looking into:
- have stuff from the forum cross-posted to Facebook (perhaps automatically?) to make it easier for people who are frequent Facebook users
- email notifications for whenever someone posts something. Karly is looking into whether this is possible in the forum's admin settings.

6. Questions for Shunpike Fundraising Consultation.
- Shunpike is an agency that helps growing organizations get grants if you’re not a non-profit yet. We’ve set up a consultation on Friday, May 24th 1:15-1:45
- Since the meeting is only 30 minutes, we want to keep the questions really direct, focusing on:
- What kinds of sources might we get funding from?
- What is the best way to spend our time and energy, what's likely to produce results for us?
- Upsides and downsides of registering as a non-profit

7. Emily is in contact with the KEXP Development Coordinator. Questions we want to ask him:
- How can we think creatively about fundraising?
- How to scale? How much to we want and by when? What are the best ways to grow sustainably?
- Where can we get more information about grants? What about sponsorship v grants?
- When we go to a potential donor, what kind of information do we present?
- Does he know anyone else we can talk to?
- Talk to him about how we could adapt KEXP's "user powered" paradigm to ZAPP

8. ZAPP Volunteer Zine
- In an effort to get volunteers more acquainted with each and working on a project, ZAPP is compiling a zine
- We’d like to do a run of about 200 and raise some money, so far Jon has raised $40 through ads
- Will be ready before the Portland Zine Symposium (early August)

9. We took comments on what qualities a venue would have to have to work as a location for ZAPP:
- Must be in a space that accessible via public transportation
- Are there any challenges to having a gallery space/workspace/archive all wrapped up into one
- Plumbing capability for screen printing
- Office space, dedicated cataloging area
- Having a physical division between the archive and the workspace
- Ideally we should be able to use the space for 3 years at a minimum
- Flooding is a major issue--space can't be at risk for flooding. Climate control is less important.
- Some physical division between the collection and office/workshop areas would be helpful
- a storefront element would greatly help visibility--could partner with local artists for displays

10. Other topics came up in conversation that were not on the agenda. discussed

- Virginia (former ZAPP volunteer) suggested that ZAPP would be best housed in Seattle Public Library Special Collections, must be able to lease a space for at three years, must have a paid director so that someone is responsible. Has a contact, Abby Bass, at Seattle Public Library. John Burgess knows the director of SPL.
- Abby is writing a report to give to the higher ups at SPL. Could there be a chance for the archive to have a workspace?
- If ZAPP moved to SPL, would you be able to circulate material?
How would volunteering change if ZAPP were to move to SPL?
- Violet has also been in contact with Jodi Fenton from SPL Special Collections

- Owner of Third Place Books has been interested in the collection. Karly has a contact there.

- staffing needs: Director would need to also have some fundraising ability/experience. Would need to hire a full time Director and a part time assistant

- Don’t forget: ZAPP is a really compelling thing and people will want to donate to it, so think big
How much $ does the IPRC operate on?

- Chris has a contact at The Grand Illusion Cinema, she will arrange a meeting with them and Tyler to talk about what ZAPP could learn from Grand Illusion and the way they do things.

- Heath used to be associated with Pacific Northwest Lesbian Archives, will contact them

- Who are some powerful allies with whom we share a constituency? Need to be thinking of who else we can reach out to.

- What are ways for us to get higher visibility? Zine spot on KEXP? EMP? The Stranger? Boing Boing Blog?

- Need to contact Tree (Hugo House exec) about the amount of 4 Culture grant and if we can use it for something besides cataloging?

- In comments to Stranger article about ZAPP, Brewster Kahle from the Internet Archive expressed some interest in helping ZAPP. What might he be able to help us with?

tylerhauck

Posts : 14
Join date : 2013-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Meeting: Sunday, May 19

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:48 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum